Nurse Practitioner service at Elbury Moor medical centre
A new service to make it easier for you (patients) to access advice and treatment as quickly as possible for minor and acute problems
WHAT IS A NURSE PRACTITIONER?
Nurse Practitioners (NP) are experienced nurses who, through further education and specialist training, have developed their skills and knowledge in order to offer extended services to patients. While not being a replacement for Doctors, they can provide nursing services that incorporate some aspects of care previously provided by Doctors.
WHAT CAN A NURSE PRACTITIONER DO?
Take a history of your health problem and perform a physical examination. Diagnose and treat minor illnesses and common health problems. Prescribe a wide range of medications. Manage long term illnesses such as asthma and coronary heart disease, offering support and education about the condition. Offer telephone advice about minor illnesses, health problems and medication. Treat minor injuries.
This service will be available Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in the morning and in the afternoon.
Patients requesting same-day appointments will be offered an appointment with the N/P if the problem is one the N/P can deal with.
WHAT PROBLEMS CAN THE NURSE PRACTITIONERS DEAL WITH?
Minor illness -
- Ear infection
- Cough, cold
- Throat infection/ mouth infections
- Chest infection
- Eye infection
- Dysuria (female) Cystitis/urinary problems
- Wound infection, cellulites
- Viral infections.
- Abdominal pain ( New episode - not already undergoing treatment)
- Hay fever
- Insect bites, stings – local reaction or infected
- Rashes, including impetigo and scabies.
- Fungal skin infections, oral and vaginal candida (thrush) -fungal infections
- Emergency contraception (morning after pill)
- Red eye / eye infection.
- Head lice
- Eczema, dermatitis
- In-growing toenails
- Paronychia (finger nail infections)
- Diarrhoea and vomiting
- Acute back pain (muscular)
- Any minor injuries – over 1 week old (under 1 week should go to A/E)
- Torticollis (wry neck)
- Animal bites
- Wounds / wound infections